Shark

Headington history: Miscellaneous

Go backwards 
Go forwards

Vicars of the three older Headington parishes


Memorial to Revd Pring

Above: The Revd Joseph Pring was Vicar of St Andrew’s Church for over forty years from 1835 to 1876, but his length
of tenure has been easily surpassed by the Revd James Cocke of All Saints, who has been Vicar there since 1957.


St Andrew’s Church, Old Headington

(founded in Saxon times)

For most of its history the church was served by chaplains and curates. From 1222 to 1451 it did have a vicar, but the only one from that period whose name is recorded is John PIPPARD in the mid-fourteenth century. In 1680 the endowment of the living was permanently restored, and the 22 Vicars of St Andrew’s Church since that date are as follows:

1680–1693

Richard NEWTIN

1693–1700

William SHEMIN

1700–1711

Thomas ALLEN

1711–1727

John IRONS

1727–1744

George BARDITH

1744–1752

William à DEANE

1752–1776

William BURROUGH

1776–1804

John WILLS

1804–1835

Thomas Henry WHORWOOD

1835–1876

Joseph Charles PRING

1876–1879

Alleyn Ward PEARSON

1879–1889

Francis Guise TYNDALE

1889–1899

John Holford SCOTT
(who from 1893 to 1908 used the name “John Holford SCOTT-TUCKER”)

1899–1916

Robert Walter TOWNSON (who changed his surname to WILSON in 1930)

1916–1924

Alexander Nenon ARMSTRONG

1924–1946

Henry Edward BIRD

1946–1956

George Edmund DAY

1956–1964

Derek Ian Tennant EASTMAN

1964–1971

Christopher Robin Paul ANSTEY

1971–1977

Robert Martin Colquhoun JEFFERY

1977–1983

Paul KING

1983– 2010

Michael BREWIN

2011– 

Darren McFARLAND

Window to curate who died of smallpox

 

Note that before the late nineteenth century the Vicars often did not live in Headington and their Curates did their work. From about 1840 to 1860 the Curate was Charles Pourtales Golightly.

 

By 1863 John Robinson had sole charge of Headington; but in 1864 he died of smallpox after visiting a sick man. There is a stained-glass window dedicated to him in the church (right). The text below the window reads:

To the Glory of God and in affectionate 
remembrance of the Rev. IOHN ROBINSON 
who died November 22 1864 of smallpox 
contracted in the discharge of his duties 
as curate of this Parish 
By public conscription AD 1865

He is buried in St Andrew’s churchyard.


Holy Trinity Church, Headington Quarry

(founded in 1849)

In its first 21 years, Holy Trinity Church had eight vicars; but since 1870 there have only been another nine.

1849–1851

Thomas MASTERMAN

1851–1853

J. JAMES

1853–1858

T. C. BROWNE

1858–1863

Samuel Waring MANGIN

1863–1864

T. A. WILLS

1864–1866

W. R. HAVERFIELD

1866–1867

G. F. WILGRESS

1867–1870

Arthur DALTON

1870–1891

Charles Pitman LONGLAND

1891–1916

Charles Francis Harding JOHNSTON

1916–1924

Philip Valentine DOYNE

1924–1935

Wilfred Savage THOMAS

1935–1947

Thomas Eric BLEIBEN

1947–1956

Gerald C. MATTHEWS

1956–1990

Ronald E. HEAD

1990–1995

Christopher HEWETSON

1995–2007

Thomas D. HONEY

2007

Tim STEAD


All Saints Church, Highfield

(founded in 1910)

In the first 46 years of its life, All Saints Church had five different Vicars; but since 1957 it has had the same one:

1910–1920

Francis Tovey COLSON

1920–1935

Alured George CLARKE

1935–1943

David Brownfield PORTER

1943–1947

Ronald Bryan LUNT

1947–1956

Cecil Edward Campbell MARKBY

1957–

James Edmund COCKE


Picture of the Revd Tyndale and family taken in 1888 by Henry Taunt

The above picture on the English Heritage website shows the Revd Francis Guise Tyndale (Vicar of St Andrew’s Church from 1879 to 1889) with his wife Marcia Louisa and his four daughters, baby son, and nursemaid outside the garden door of the former vicarage. His five children were all born here: Mary Elfrida (3 February 1882), Dorothy Frances (10 June 1883), Oriane Sophy (2 July 1884), Marcia Edersheim (13 August 1886), and Henry Edmund Guise (10 December 1887).

© Stephanie Jenkins

Headington home Shark Oxford History home