Everyone from Headington and Marston who died as a result of the First World War has a separate biographical page. Follow the red pointer at the top right to see every page, or choose your parish from the lists below.
The dead of New Headington/Highfield
(All Saints’ parish)
The dead of Headington Quarry
(Holy Trinity parish)
The dead of Old Headington
(St Andrew’s parish)
The dead of Old Marston
(St Nicholas’s parish)
The dead of New Marston
(then not a separate parish)
In 1911 Headington’s population was only 5,351, yet at least 120 of its men (and one woman) died in the First World War. Another 37 men from Old and New Marston died.
Please email any corrections or additions. Scans of photographs or letters would be particularly welcome.
Note that memorials in parish churches normally only include members of the Church of England (although Headington Quarry Church is an exception). The nonconformist churches of Headington have no First World War memorials, but Headington Baptist Church in Old High Street had a War Memorial Organ installed by Messrs Martin & Coate of Oxford, with a wooden plaque giving the dedication (photographs in Oxford Journal Illustrated of 2 June 1920).
Older men, women, and children in 1918 digging an allotment in Old High Street.
This land opposite the Priory belonged to Headington Baptist Church.