Shark

Headington history: Streets

Go backwards
Go forwards

Windmill Road: Postcards


Windmill Road appeared on many postcards between 1905 and 1920, some of which were produced by William Whitchelo, the newsagent at 14 Windmill Road from 1915.

North end of Windmill Road

Above: Windmill Road in about 1905, with its pavements not yet made up. The left side is built up, with the Co-op of 1892 on the site of the old toll house, and the houses to the south built on Mrs Ballachey’s field in the late 1880s. The right-hand side of Windmill Road was still mostly agricultural land down as far as the present Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre. The street had no piped water until around 1915, hence the pump.

Rosslyn Villa

Above: This card dates from soon after the last, and gives a better view of the fine house called Rosslyn Villa (now incorporated into the Parade) and the houses to the south. The east side of Windmill Road now has a kerb, but not the west.

Headington's first Post Office

Above: This postcard of Windmill Road dates from after 1915 (when Headington’s main post office shown to the right on the London Road corner was built), but before the postcard postal rate went up in 1918. Dring’s Carriers were now operating from Windmill Road in the first building behind the Post Office, and the shops beyond that were much as they are today. The pavements are now made up, and the pump has been removed, indicating that the street now had piped water. The lamppost probably has a gas lamp, as Headington did not get electricity until about 1929.

Top end of Windmill Road

The above postcard is a little later than the last one: there is a new lamppost on the corner, and Dring’s have an advertisement on the side of their house.

Above: Postcard of Windmill Road, probably 1920s, showing William Whitchelo’s newspaper shop on the right.

Above: Looking northwards: the junction with East (now Bateman) Street in about 1905. A Victorian pillar-box stands at the junction.

Mrs Jeffrey's shop

Above: The same scene as the last postcard, in about 1920. The postbox has been removed, presumably because Headington’s main post office is now at the top of the road; and Mrs Jeffrey’s grocer’s shop has been built on the corner.

Mattock's section of Windmill Road

Above: A deserted Windmill Road in the first decade of the twentieth century. In the foreground on the left, John Mattock’s house at 88 Windmill Road has a greenhouse inscribed “J. Mattock Florist”, and the next three houses are 86, 84, and 82 Windmill Road. On the immediate right are 103 and 101 Windmill Road, with a detached house at 99 Windmill Road. Nos. 97 and 95 were not yet built, and so the house with its side showing is No. 93.

Alexandra Road

Above: This postcard of the south end of Windmill Road is postmarked 1912. It shows the entrance to Alexandra (now Gathorne) Road, created in the gap between 143 and 145 Windmill Road in about 1912.

Alexandra Road south

Above: This tinted postcard dates from around the same time as the last one, and takes the scene further south. There is agricultural land on the left opposite Alexandra Road behind the telegraph pole and gas-lamp: the hospital then faced Old Road, and had not spread northwards along Windmill Road. The side of the Mattock house (No. 90) is prominent: their nursery was to the north of this house.

Composite postcard

Above: For this postcard of around 1905 Windmill Road was the showpiece chosen to represent the village of New Headington.

© Stephanie Jenkins

Headington home Shark Oxford History home