Shark

Headington history: Streets

Go backwards
Go forwards

Windmill Road: The surrounding fields


Windmill Road in 1928

The above aerial view of 1928 shows the south end of Windmill Road (running horizontally from left to right, from just north of Bateman Street down to Old Road).

East side of Windmill Road in the 1920s

The 1928 aerial view shows the development that was to obliterate the Quarry Field, which separated New Headington and Quarry villages, well under way: Gathorne Road may still be a footpath, but Margaret Road already stretches as far as St Anne’s Road; and York Road, York Avenue, and Mark Road are built up. The middle section of the Quarry Field is still undeveloped, but to the north (where for many years the only building was the Field School, now St Andrew’s Primary), Holyoake and Stile Roads were also built up by this time.

The postcard of 1926 below shows the incongruity of a suburban street that was still surrounded by countryside.


Reproduced by kind permission of Headington Homewares

The photograph above shows the site of Langley Close, which was not built in the gap between 75 and 79 Windmill Road until about 1934.

It took until the 1930s before Margaret Road and St Leonard’s Road reached all the way from Windmill Road to Quarry. The advertisement below dates from 1937.

1937 ad for housing in Quarry

West side of Windmill Road in the 1920s

New Headington village had been laid out in 1852 and by 1928 was completely built up with the recent creation of Kennett Road, the south end of which can be seen on the left of the aerial view at the top of the page, where once had been an apple orchard.

The land occupied by Norton Close was Samuel West’s Nursery until 1967.

The land occupied by Mattock Close was the rose nursery of John Mattock until the 1960s: hence two houses on the opposite side of Windmill Road were named Nursery View (121) and Rose View (127).

The land of the present Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre was still mostly undeveloped in the 1920s.

© Stephanie Jenkins

Headington home Shark Oxford History home