Methodist Chapel, Quarry High Street
The Quarry Methodists were the first nonconformists in the whole of Headington to build their own place of worship. Their first proper chapel was in Trinity Road, but they soon outgrew this. Their second, larger chapel in Quarry High Street (above) was opened on Whit Sunday 1860.
James Coppock was the man who brought Methodism to Quarry, and when he died in November 1863 he was buried in the narrow piece of ground behind the wall shown in the above picture. His flat gravestone reads:
THIS TABLET WAS PLACED HERE BY MEMBERS OF THIS [?CHAPEL]
IN MEMORY OF JAMES COPPOCK WHO DIED NOV XVI MDCCCLXIII
Also in 1863 a proper burial ground for all Quarry Methodists (left) was opened behind the chapel.
In 1874 a Sunday School room with a red roof (right) was added on to the chapel. (The former chapel in Trinity Road, which had been used for the Sunday School since 1860, was then converted into dwelling houses.)
Below: Stone above the Sunday School porch reading: WESLEYAN SUNDAY SCHOOL 1874
With the growth of east Oxford following the expansion of the Cowley car works (and with the incoming workers including many Welsh chapel-goers), this chapel had to be enlarged in 1931: the work was done by the builder Arthur Vallis of Windmill Road at a cost of £1,500. Vallis, who “used to carry his dinner in a red handkerchief” was “a poor scholar as regards writing”, but was devoted to the cause of the chapel.
Quarry Methodist Chapel held its last service on 12 September 2004. The Cornerstone Christian Centre opened here in 2006, and in 2009 built a gallery in the church.
Background to the development of Methodism in Quarry
The blocking of the old funeral path from Quarry to St Andrew’s Church by Joseph Lock, the owner of Bury Knowle House, was the primary reason why the people of Headington Quarry turned their back on the Anglican church and embraced Methodism. James Palmer, curate of St Andrew’s, wrote to the Bishop of Oxford in 1805, “The inhabitants of Quarry now say that as they are to be deprived of their funeral path, they will not come to Church at all, but intend to have a Methodist preacher come to them.” Four men of Quarry (James Coppock, Robert Coppock, Henry Morris, and James Varney) initially arranged for a Methodist Minister to come to James Coppock’s house next to the Six Bells.
Over the next twenty years numbers grew, and the Quarry Methodists, despite being humble labourers, succeeded in raising the money for a proper chapel, which was opened in Trinity Road on Easter Sunday 1830. Its foundation stone (below) was preserved, and stands inside the present chapel.
Nineteen years later Thomas Burrows said that the Methodists were getting “too strong” when he donated the stone for the building of Quarry’s Church of England church, Holy Trinity. (This ploy evidently did not work, as in 1860 the Methodists needed to build an even bigger chapel, shown at the top of this page and in the old engraving below.)
Robert Coppock, one of the founders, lived into the 1860s, and “continued to attend this place of worship in his Smock Frock until he died … he was rather rough in his appearance but his Heart was right and very loyal”.
Above: The Yews, which stood opposite the Methodist Chapel in Quarry High Street, was built by the family of Bill Coppock, who has kindly supplied this picture. In 1868 they bought the land now occupied by Coppock Close and ran a small holding/market garden there until 1963, when the house was demolished.