Poppy

First World War in Headington and Marston, Oxford

Alick Stuart MARSHALL (1889–1916)

Alick Stuart Marshall (whose first name is wrongly spelt Alec in his army service records) was born in Headington Quarry in 1889, the son of David Marshall (born in Dundee, Scotland in c.1852) and Harriet Selina Coppock (born in Headington Quarry in 1860 and baptised at Holy Trinity Church on 23 September).

Alick’s father David Marshall came to England when he trained to be a teacher at the Collegiate Institute in Chester.

His parents were married at Holy Trinity Church on 29 September 1879 and had three children:

  • Daisy Harriet Marshall (born in Bedfield, Suffolk on 24 June 1880 and baptised at Holy Trinity Church in Headington Quarry on 12 September 1880)
  • Edgar James Marshall (born in Headington Quarry and baptised at Holy Trinity Church on 29 October 1882)
  • Alick Stuart Marshall (born in Headington Quarry and baptised at Holy Trinity Church on 30 June 1889).

Alick's parent appear to have started their married life in Bedfield, Suffolk, where their first child Daisy was born in 1880; but by September of that year they were living in Quarry, and it is possible that David Marshall taught at Headington Quarry National School, as he was still described as a teacher at Daisy's baptism.

By the time of the 1881 census, however, Alick’s father David Marshall was described as an unemployed teacher. He was then living with his wife and their first child, Daisy, near the Six Bells in the house of Harriet’s parents, William and Eliza Coppock. He never returned to the teaching profession, and at the baptism of his next two children In 1882 and 1889 he was described as a timekeeper for a builder. Their next child Edgar was born in 1882, and Alick himself, who was their youngest child, in 1889.

At the time of the 1891 census Alick (2) was living at Beaumont Terrace in Quarry with his father David (38), who was now a gardener (domestic servant), his mother Harriet (31), and his older siblings Daisy (10) and Edgar (8). His widowed grandmother Eliza Coppock (74) was still living with them, as well as his mother's nephew George W. Coppock (19), who was a bricklayer's labourer.

In 1901 Alick (11) was at school (almost certainly Headington Quarry National School) and living near Quarry Manor House with his father David (49), who was now working as a painter; his mother Harriet (39) and sister Daisy (20), who were both working as laundresses for someone else; and his brother Edgar (18), who was a bricklayer's labourer.

Alick’s father David Marshall died at the age of 54 on 27 August 1908 and was buried at Holy Trinity churchyard on 30 August 1908.

By the time of the 1911 census, Alick (22) had moved away from home and was a chauffeur, boarding at Hazlewood, St John’s Road, Abingdon with the family of John Sandell, manager of a butcher’s shop. His mother Harriet was still a laundress, living in Beaumont Road (then called Post Office Road) in Quarry with her unmarried son Edgar (28), who was a bricklayer’s labourer. Alick's sister Daisy was already married.

Poppy In the First World War Alick Stuart Marshall volunteered to serve at Reading on 10 November 1914. On 27 March 1916 he was appointed a Corporal in the Mechanical Transport, 17th Ammunition Sub. Park of the Army Service Corps (Service No. M2/035041). He was killed in action at the Somme in France on 1 October 1916 at the age of 27.

He is buried in the Bernafay Wood British Cemetery, Montauban (A.20), and is listed on the stone plaque in the porch of Holy Trinity Church in Headington Quarry. The grave of Alick’s parents in the churchyard (below) has the following words added:

AND OF
ALICK STUART MARSHALL
KILLED ON THE SOMME OCT 1ST 1916
IN SILENCE WE REMEMBER

Alick Marshall: remembered on parents’ grave

His mother Harriet Marshall gave her address as Castle Cottage, Headington Quarry in 1919 for the receipt of Alick's plaque and scroll.


Postscript

Quarry memorial

Alick’s mother
  • Mrs Harriet Selina Marshall died on 10 October 1936 at the age of 76, and was buried at Holy Trinity churchyard three days later. At the time of her death she was living at 90 Old Road (on the east corner of The Slade, then numbered 82).
Alick’s sister
  • Daisy Harriet Marshall (born 1880) married the bricklayer Arthur Thomas Kimber at Holy Trinity Church in Quarry on 13 April 1907. They had two children baptised at Holy Trinity Church: Roy Alec Thomas Kimber (born on 24 April 1918 and baptised on 9 June) and Victor Stanley Kimber (born on 16 August 1920 and baptised on 10 October). Daisy Kimber died at 168 Old Road, Headington at the age of 90 in 1970, and her funeral (cremation) was held at Holy Trinity Church on 24 October.
Alick’s brother
  • Edgar James Marshall (born 1882), who worked as a labourer, married Hilda Phyllis Bateman at All Saints' Church, Highfield, Headington on 30 September 1911. They moved into a new house at the top of Lime Walk (the present No. 12), which Edgar named Hildadene after his wife. Their two daughters were born there: Lena Emma Harriet Marshall on 19 April 1914 (baptised at All Saints' Church on 28 June) and Doris Frances Marshall (baptised All Saints Church on 6 June 1920). Edgar James Marshall died at 12 Lime Walk on 16 October 1964.

Back to War Memorials page on Headington Community Website