Poppy

First World War in Headington and Marston, Oxford

Edward GOUGH (1874–1919)

Edward Gough or Goff was born in North Leigh near Witney in 1874, the son of John Gough (born at North Leigh in 1832 and baptised there on 11 November) and Anne Hemmings (born in North Leigh in c.1833). His parents were married at North Leigh on 4 November 1858 and had the following children:

  • Thomas Gough (born at North Leigh in 1861 and baptised there on 31 March)
  • Jesse Gough (born at North Leigh in 1863 and baptised there on 15 December)
  • Sarah Jane Gough (born at North Leigh in 1866 and baptised there on 2 December)
  • Alice Gough (born at North Leigh in1870 and baptised there on 4 September)
  • Edward Gough (born at North Leigh in 1874 and baptised there on 19 July).

At the time of the 1861 census Edward’s father John Gough was an agricultural labourer, living in North Leigh with his wife Anne and their first son Thomas. By 1871 the family’s address in North Leigh was specified as New Yatt Farm.

Edward Gough was born in 1874.

At the time of the 1881 census Edward (6) was at school and living at North Leigh with his father John (48), who was an agricultural labourer, his mother Anne (47), his brother Thomas (20), who was also an agricultural labourer, and his sisters Sarah (14), and Alice (10).

In 1891 Edward (16) was himself an agricultural labourer, living in North Leigh at Mount Pleasant Road with his father John (58), his mother Ann (57), and his sister Sarah (24), who was a confectionery shopwoman.

Edward’s father John Gough died at the age of 65 in 1898 and was buried at North Leigh on 5 August.

On 27 December 1898 at Ashow, Warwickshire, Edward Gough (24), described as a plasterer of North Leigh, married Annie Louisa Allen (25): she was born in Ashow in 1873 and baptised there on 23 November and was the daughter of the labourer Alfred Allen and his wife Harriet).

Edward and Annie Gough settled at William Street in New Marston, which was then still in the civil parish of Headington and the ecclesiastical parish of St Andrew. They had just one child:

  • Rita Louisa Gough (born at William Street, New Marston on 27 September 1899 and baptised at St Clement's Church on 26 November.

At the time of the 1901 census Edward (26) was still working as a plasterer and living in William Street with his wife Annie (27) and their daughter Rita (five months).

Meanwhile by 1901 Edward’s mother Anne Gough had come to live at 71 St Clement’s Street in Oxford to look after the three children of Edward’s older brother Jesse, who had lost his wife and was running a tobacconist & newspaper shop. Anne Gough died at Jesse's house at the age of 73 in 1907 and was buried with her husband at North Leigh on 17 May. Jesse’s unmarried sister-in-law Beatrice Rosa Walker then moved in as Jesse’s housekeeper.

At the time of the 1911 census Edward (36) was still working as a plasterer and living in William Street with his wife Annie (37) and his daughter Rita (11), who was at school.

On 8 June 1915 Edward Gough (41), who described himself as a painter of William Street, signed up at Oxford for one year's “Embodied Service at Home” in the Territorial Army. His records show that he was 5 feet 7 inches tall and weighed 168 pounds. On 9 December 1915 he qualified to receive 4th rate Corps Pay as an Orderly.

Poppy In the First World War Edward Gough served as a Private in the Royal Army Medical Corps (Service No. 446123) on the hospital ship H.M.A.T. Assaye. On 23 March 1919 was admitted from that ship with a high fever to the 21st General Hospital in Egypt and died of typhus there on 29 March 1919 at the age of 44.

He is buried in the Alexandria (Hadra) War Memorial Cemetery (C.213), and is remembered on the New Marston War Memorial on the Marston Road, Oxford.

On 30 September 1919 his widow Annie acknowledged receipt of her husband's belongings and gave her full address, which was 11 William Street. His effects were listed as follows:

Letters, snuff box, penknife, metal mirror, four titles, diary, lighter, three watch keys, devotional book, two purses, four metal rings, six brooches, a dictionary, two wallets, photographs, cards, scissors, two handkerchiefs, a whistle, two belts, a metal soap box, three religious medallions, one crucifix, one key, a pair of spectacles, nineteen coins, a wrist watch case, three strings of beads, one rosary, one silver watch (No. 83518), a stone souvenir, and a gold ring.

Just over a year later his widow Annie Louise Gough died at 11 William Street at the age of 47. She was buried at Headington Cemetery on 9 November 1920.


Postscript

New Marston War Memorial

Edward’s daughter
  • Rita Louisa Gough married Frederick H. Harvey in the Headington registration district in the June quarter of 1921. They lived at Davenport Cottage on Headington Hill and had three children (all reg. in the Headington district): Phyllis L. Harvey (1922), Ronald E. Harvey (1925), and Kathleen R. Harvey (1927).
Edward’s brother
  • Jesse Gough had three children, all born in Oxford: Thomas John Gough (born 1892), Georgina Alice Gough (born 1895), and Sarah Kathleen Gough (born 1899/1900). He continued to run his tobacconist’s shop at 71 St Clement’s until his death at the age of 71 (reg. first quarter of 1935). From 1936 to 1945 the shop was run by his daughter Georgina (Miss G. A. Gough). In 1947 it was called T. Gough (probably Jesse’s son Thomas), but the proprietor was H. R. Wyatt.

See also

Back to New Marston War Memorial

Back to War Memorials page on Headington Community Website