Shark

Headington history: Streets

Go backwards
Go forwards

Windmill Road: House names and numbers


Date in brackets is earliest reference found to existence of house
House names preceded by a double dagger () can still be seen engraved in stone over the front doors

East side (odd numbers)

Corner of
London Road

Toll house was on this site until the 1880s. Demolished and the present building opened in 1893 as the Co-op. Buckell & Ballard and Oxford Design in 2012

1, 3, 5

Built by 1911, but replaced by Units 1–4 of The Parade in 1935

7

Rosslyn Villa (1883); the house still exists as Units 5 and 6 of The Parade

9
11

Cuddesdon Villas 1 (built by 1911)
Cuddesdon Villas 2 (built by 1911)

13
15

“1 Windmill Lane” (built by 1891); aka 1 Sunset Villas, and later 1 The Firs
“2 Windmill Lane” (built by 1891); aka 2 Sunset Villas, and later 2 The Firs

17
19

“3 Windmill Lane” (built by 1891); aka 3 Sunset Villas
“4 Windmill Lane” (built by 1891): aka 4 Sunset Villas

21 & 23

Formerly Labour Club; replaced by flats in 1996

25
27

‡West View 1 & 2 (built by 1889)

29
31
33

“7 Windmill Lane” (built by 1889)
“8 Windmill Lane” (built by 1889)
“9 Windmill Lane” (built by 1889)

35
37
39

“10 Windmill Lane” (built by 1891)
“11 Windmill Lane” (built by 1891)
“12 Windmill Lane” (built by 1891)

Car park (was children’s playground in 1920s)]

St Leonard’s Road (formerly Southern Road)

45
47

— [built in 1930s]

49
51
 53

— (1921)
Grose’s Butcher’s Shop (built by 1921)
— (1921)

55
57

‡Glencairn (built by 1911)
‡Malvern (built by 1911)

59

Grocer’s Shop (built by 1898); later part of Vallis’s, and part of Blanchford’s in 2012

59A

Built in 1929, demolished c.1980 to widen Blanchford’s entrance

61

Vallis’s Builder’s Yard (by 1909); part of Blanchford’s in 2012

63

— (built by 1911)

65
67
69

Lynton (built after 1911, before 1916)
Ackworth (built by 1911)
‡Glenthorne (built by 1911)

71

Wellneath (built by 1898)

73
||
75

—  (built by 1898)
link
—  (built by 1898)

77

— (1930s)

Langley Close (built c.1934)

79
81

Oakthorpe (built by 1911)
Hazelwood (built by 1911)

83
85

Steyning Cottage  (built by 1911)
Denby (built by 1911)

87

—  (built by 1898)

89
91

— (built by 1911)
— (built by 1911)

93

Redcliffe House (built by 1898)

95
97

Hollydene (built by 1911)
Berea (built by 1911)

99

Holly Cottage (built by 1911)

101
103

— (built by 1911)
— (built by 1911)

105
||
107 

— (built by 1911)
link
Former Grocer’s Shop (built by 1910)

Margaret Road (just two houses in 1911)

109
111

‡Oaklea (built by 1911)
‡Cothill (built by 1911)

113
115

Glendale (built by 1911)
Fairglen (built by 1911)

117
119

Ferndale (built by 1911)
‡Eldene (built by 1911)

121
123

Nursery View (built by 1911)
Sunnyside (built by 1911)

125
127

Elm View (built by 1906)
Rose View (built by 1906)

129

Oakdene (built by 1906)

131

‡Sandvale (built by 1906)

133
135

Padbury (built by 1906)
Belmont (built by 1906)

137
139

‡Cranford (built by 1906)
‡King’s Wood (built by 1906)

141
143

— (1916)
College House (1916)

Gathorne Road (formerly Alexandra Road)

145

Hillandale (built by 1906)

147
149

Ashleigh (built by 1911)
‡Brendon House (built by 1911)

151
153

‡Myrtle View (built by 1911)
‡Ivydene (built by 1911)

155
157

‡Headlands (built by 1911)
‡Fairview (built by 1911)

Windmill House

In the 1920s, there were seven dwellings,  known as “Windmill Cottages”, on this site. These comprised the original miller’s house and cottage, plus five cottages made from the ruins of the Windmill around 1880. They were all demolished in the 1950s.

159
161

— [built in 1930s]
— [built in 1930s]

163
165

— [built in 1930s]
— [built in 1930s]

167
169

— [built in 1930s]
— [built in 1930s]

171
173

— [built in 1930s]
— [built in 1930s]

Rock Edge (former quarry)

West side (even numbers)

2 & 4

Dring’s Coaches from 1907 (two houses and yard);
replaced by Simon House block of shops in 1966

6
8

Shop, 1909. Mrs Barton’s draper’s shop in 1909; Japlene in 2012
Shop, 1909. Skey’s grocer’s shop in 1922; Reynold’s Blinds in 2012

10 & 12

Shop, inscribed with date of construction: 1909
Danbury’s newsagent (1909); Choice Tiles & Leopard Press in 2012

14

Shop, inscribed with date of construction: 1910
Tobacconist
(Whitchelo) in 1920s; Helen House Hospice charity shop in 2012

16

‡St Helens (built by 1911)

18
20

‡Dulwich House (1918)
‡Milcombe House (1918)

22
24

Northam (1915)
Lynwood (1915); later The Firs

26
28

‡Higham Villas (1915)

30
32

— (1921)
‡Kia-Ora (1921)

34

‡The New House (1916)

34A

— Built in entrance way to former orchard (now Kennett Road) in 1930s

36

Huelva (1912)

38
40

— (1915)
Henbury (1915)

42
44

— (built by 1911)

46

Nutts Coal merchants (1921)

48

Rougemont (1913)

50
52

‡Ardgowan (built by 1911)
‡Denham House (built by 1911)

54
56

‡Uplands (built by 1911)
‡Edgefield (built by 1911)

58

Shop (built by 1911). May have been called Tayford

---------Bateman Street (formerly East Road)-----------

60

Conservative Club (1928)

60A

— [Built in 1940s]

62

Harby Cottage (built by 1911)

64
66

— (1898)

68

‡Winthorpe (built by 1911)

70
72

‡Tolworth (built by 1911)
‡Laverstock (built by 1911)

72A

Shop built in 1920s. Grain’s Tobacconist shop (1924); Ford’s secondhand shop in 2012

74

S. West & Sons (1898); private housing in 2012

76

Gleanbury Cottage (1898); Jacobs Removals in 2012

78

Olveston (built by 1903)

80

Druidstone (built by 1906)

82

— (1898) (Victorian house with deceptive cladding)

84
||
86

Poplar Cottage (inscribed 1893)
linked
— (1898)

88

“John Mattock’s house” (1890); demolished and rebuilt as Champneys Court in 2008

90

White House (built by 1911); demolished and rebuilt as Edna Rose Court in 2008

Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre (was side entrance to Wingfield Convalescent Home)

Not yet identified: Beaulie and Pen Bryn (from 1911 census)

© Stephanie Jenkins

Headington home Shark Oxford History home