Headington history: Old postcards

Go backwards
Go forwards

London Road near White Horse

The White Horse

White Horse today


The postcard above shows the beginning of the London Road in Headington, looking east, in around 1905. In the foreground is the former White Horse Inn, demolished in the 1930s and replaced by the present pub.

Apart from the telegraph poles, the road in 1905 looks much as it would have when it was cut through the countryside in the 1790s by the Turnpike Trust.

© Stephanie Jenkins

Headington home Shark Oxford History home