Blondin's Pit, Quarry Hollow

Above: The present Quarry Hollow Park
Below: The present road called Quarry Hollow (known as St Mary's Road until 1959), looking east


Blondin's Pit was on the site of Quarry Farm, which was owned by the Bushnell family, and was presumably named after Blondin Bushnell (who according to Raphael Samuel's informants was the stonemason who put the wall up around Coppock's orchard).
This extract (right) from the 1876 OS map of Headington shows that already very little of this quarry was left.
“Muntsie's”
The site later came into the hands of a builder called Munt. The large mounds were apparently created from land spoil that was dumped in the pit when the Wood Farm estate was built in the 1950s.
R. C. Munt (Builders) Ltd are listed at 62 Quarry Road until 1960. Their premises are now demolished and in 1970 planning permission was granted for a play park on the site (70/22525/A_H).
The present Quarry Hollow Park (owned by the city council) is still known to older people as Muntsie’s.
Below: Quarry Hollow Park in the former quarry viewed from the west, showing the top of the slide:

