Repatriation tributes in Headington

18 August 2011

Lieutenant Daniel John Clack (1st Battalion,The Rifles)
Killed in Afghanistan on 12 August 2011

The pictures below show the repatriation tribute that took place in Headley Way
as the funeral cortège made its way to the John Radcliffe Hospital.

StandardsThe standards lean against St Anthony of Padua Church as the crowds gather before the tribute

WaitingThe crowds line up at the ready

The cortege arrivesSilence falls as the cortège approaches

The coffin, draped in a Union JackThe hearse, with the coffin draped in the Union Flag, approaches “The Final Turn”. The roses on top of the hearse
were placed there in Wootton Bassett by Lieutenant Clack’s family and fiancée

End of cortegeAnother police car brings up the rear


Pictures taken before the tribute

SoldiersOld soldiers stand waiting

Chief Inspector
Chief Inspector Cecilia Agger (right) talks to some of the old soldiers present

Police chaplain
Police chaplain Graham Choldcroft with a young member of the public in front

Deputy Lord MayorDeputy Lord Mayor Alan Armitage with Brigadier Nigel Mogg, Honorary Colonel of The Rifles

Report from the Final Turn by John Walker, former RDG

We here at the Final Turn stood true and firm to honour Lieutenant Daniel Clack.

There were nine Royal British Legion standards on parade: Bicester, Bicester & Launton, Bodicote, Chalgrove, Headington, Islip, Kidlington, Kidlington Women’s Section, and Wheatley. 

Association standards included: Coldstream Guards, Guards Division (Newbury), The Parachute Regiment (Oxford), RAF Police, Royal Navy & Royal Marines (Oxon), Royal Marines (Windsor), the St George Society and The Banner of The Royal Dragoon Guards.

Also attending were the Deputy Lord Mayor of Oxford, Councillor Alan Armitage, and Brigadier Nigel Mogg, Honorary Colonel of The Rifles.

There were 55 service veterans with berets and medals and 30 others from all three services. The Thames Valley Police were out in force, doing their normal duties and parading alongside us, under the command of Chief Inspector C. Agger, and Graham Choldcroft, the Thames Valley Police Chaplain. Mary and John from the church joined us as always, John having half-masted the Union flag early in the morning. A fire tender from the Oxford City Fire & Rescue Service attended with a full crew, along with a Red Cross emergency vehicle crewed by Andy Sugar and I/c Kerry Blunt. The public from Oxford turned out in large numbers, despite the awful weather – at least 200 at the Final Turn, with several hundreds leading off the Oxford ring road into Marston and up Headley Way to us at the Final Turn.

My thanks to Mike Townsend (RBL Central) for helping me put these lists together. Thanks again also to the veterans’ wives and partners for serving tea and coffee, etc., bringing home-made cakes and also for clearing away after the parade.

The weather saw heavy rain as the cortège passed us by at 1720hrs.

The parade marshal was G. Whelan (former Para) and his 2i/c was J. Lewendon (former RA).

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 26 August, 2018

Repatriation home  Poppy  Headington home