ST GILES’, OXFORD

Back
Forwards

No. 37A: Ertegun House


37A St Giles

 

No. 37A appears to have been built in 1808 on the south part of Vincent Shortland’s timber yard. The fact that it was not allocated a separate number of its own but was deemed to be between 37 and 38 suggests that St Giles may already have had its present numbering system. It is a Grade II listed building (ref. 1485/509).

It was a private house until 1919, latterly the home of the Curate of St Barnabas’ Church. It has been used by Oxford University Press since 1962

Vincent John Shortland released the plot on which this house stands together with No. 37 to the north to Daniel Turner, Esq. in 1808. The Turner family appear to have built No. 37A for themselves around this time, and then rented out No. 37.

The 1841 census shows Daniel Turner living at 37 St Giles’ Street (which is presumably a mistake for 37A, which is not otherwise listed in the census). Living with him were his daughters Maria, Ann, Caroline, Emma, and Elizabeth and two house servants. He died at the age of 85 and was buried in St Giles’ Church on 17 January 1843.

The 1851 census shows Daniel’s daughters, Caroline and Emma Turner (described as “fundholders” and then aged respectively 30 and 25) living at No. 37A with two house servants. They were to continue living in this house for another forty years.

Occupants of 37a St Giles’ Street listed in censuses and directories

1841–1891

The Misses Caroline & Emma Turner

1894–1919

Holy Rood
Rev. Charles Henry Bickerton Hudson
Curate of St Barnabas

1926–34

University of Oxford
Institute of Agricultural Engineering

1936–1952

Electricity Company
Oxford Electric Co. Ltd and Wessex Electricity Co. (1936–7)
Wessex Electricity Company (1939–47)
Southern Electricity Board (1949–1952)
1954–1962Regency Restaurant
and Banquet’s of Oxford Ltd, caterers

with Oxford University Press (Atlas Department) listed upstairs in 1958
and Oxford University Press (Cartographic Department) in 1960 and 1962
It is understood that the atlas/cartographic department had part of the building from 1954

1962–1976

OUP Cartographic Department

1977–1993

Oxford English Dictionary Supplement
1993–2009 Oxford University Press Departments:
Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
Music Department
Grove Dictionary of Music

2009–2012

University of Oxford Humanities Division

2012

Ertegun House

 

Oxford History home

Last updated: 11 October, 2012