ST GILES’, OXFORD

Back
Forwards

Nos. 24–29: Mathematical Institute


24-29 St Giles

The University of Oxford Mathematical Institute, shown above, was built in the mid-1960s. It replaced the six old houses numbered 24–29 St Giles Street.

The old No. 24 (the Windmill Inn) and Nos. 25 and 26 had been demolished in the early 1860s and rebuilt as much larger four-storey houses with extra accommodation in the roof: they were all used as university boarding houses at some point, and the Marlborough Secretarial College began life at No. 24.

No. 26 was known as Balliol Hall, and in 1875 the Dragon School started life in two rooms here, moving to Banbury Road in 1879.

Old houses on site

 

Left The six houses demolished to make way for the Mathematical Institute can be seen in the centre of this photograph (taken in about 1920). They are sandwiched between two existing buildings, namely Nos. 22/23 (in the right foreground with its three gables) and No. 30 (on the left by Keble Road with its two gables) .

 

Nos. 24, 25, and 26 comprised the very large building set back from the road. The much lower shop beyond this is No. 27, while the three-storey building to the north again comprised Nos. 28 and 29.

  No. 24 No. 25 No. 26
1841––52 Windmill Inn
(Henry Hutt)
Robert Adams
Butcher
William Tarrant
Shoemaker
1861 James Walton
Whitesmith
Richard Carter
Carpenter
Rebuilt in early 1860s
1866 Mrs Morrison James West Rev. T. Arnold, M.A.
1867 H.B. Spencer, M.D.
1869 Mrs Maskell Balliol Hall:

T.H. Green, M.A.
(1869–76)

Frederick William Jenkins
(1880–4)
Mrs F.W. Jenkins
(1887–1908)
1871––5 Rev. Joseph S. Treacher
Vicar of St John the Baptist
1876 S.W. Taylor
1880–4 Misses Fruin
(1880–95)
Miss Mary Fruin
Lodging house
1896–89
Brentford House:
Walter Green Faulks

University Lodgings
(Mrs Faulks 1894)
1895–9 Lodging House

Mrs Phoebe Mobey
(1895–1913)

Miss E.M. Faulks
(1913–41)
1900–8 William Simmonds & Co.
Coal merchants
1909–18 Albert Charles Rolls
Mrs Rolls

University Lodging House
1919 Alexander John Cameron
1921–3 Mrs Massey
1925–7 Miss Mullett
1928 Mrs (Kil)kelly
Patrick P. Kilkelly

Ophthalmic surgeon
1932 Mrs A. Smith
Boarding house
1934–7 Mrs Blanchard

Miss J. Dunkley
Masseuse
1939 Arthur H. Hickling
1941 Marlborough Secretarial
Training School

Miss D. Hickling, Principal
1945 Miss E. A. Coombs
1947 Miss D. Hickling Alexander B.F. Gibson
Physician & surgeon
1949–54
1956 Boris Weber No listing
1958–60 Frederick Halcrow Randolph Hotel
Staff Residence
1962
1964 Adrian Davies
Demolished to make way for Mathematical Institute

The low building in the middle (No. 27) was for many years a shop:

  No. 27 No. 28 No. 29
1841 Joseph Carter
Coal merchant
(non-resident)
George Parrott
Farmer & dairyman
of 73 acres
employing 8 labourers
Esther Masham
Shopkeeper
1846
1852 Thomas Grimsley
Sculptor and patent roof
& terracotta manufacturer
Henry Emerton
Railway clerk

Academy taking boarders:
Mrs Julia Emerton
1861 Henry Jacob
Clerk to Justices
Charles Richards
Auctioneer

Mrs Ann Richards
from 1880
1866–9 William Morley
Bookbinder
1871 Frederick Grimbley
1872 Benjamin Hart
Builder
(employing 200 hands)

Mrs Hart

Milliner
1880–4 Mrs Martin

Robert Martin
Cabinet maker
1887–1904 Thomas Howard
1906–8 Percy Halfacree
Bootmaker
1910 William John Potter
Printer

The Potter Press
1911 Ernest Henry Brownjohn
Bootmaker
1912–14 Henry J. Potter
1915–16 Edward Dowse
Bootmaker
Herbert James Potter

(Miss Joan Potter
from 1949)



Miss Frances A. Marzials
1918 Miss Dorothy Humphrey
Dairy
1919–23 Colin Harse
Cycle agent
1925–6 Madame Derwent
Draper
1927 Campbell & Garrick
Dyers
1929–39 Mrs M.A. Dorrill
Shopkeeper
Colin Harse
1941–5 A.J. Luce
Shopkeeper
Mrs Harse
1947 Levy & Freeman
Sign writers
1949–58 Swift School of Motoring
1960 William Holmes, M.A., D.Phil. David Longrigg
1962
1964 Leonardo Castillejo, M.A.
Demolished to make way for Mathematical Institute

Windmill Yard was between the Windmill at No. 24 and No. 25, and Adams Yard (presumably named after Robert Adams the butcher at No. 25, and probably the former Boot Alley) was between Nos. 25 and 26.

 

Oxford History home

Last updated: 17 November, 2008