No. 11: Middleton Hall/St John’s House
No. 11 St Giles’ Street (formerly Middleton Hall) has the President’s Drive to the south and Lamb & Flag Passage to the north. It was probably built in the second half of the seventeenth century. The house was heavily restored soon after it became a private hall in 1898, and is a Grade II listed building (ref. 1485/526).
At the time of the 1772 Survey of Oxford, Middleton Hall was occupied by the Revd Mr Cox, and its frontage is given as 22 yards and 10 inches.
Gardner’s Directory of 1852 states:
Middleton Hall, now the residence of the Rev. Mr. Cornish, bears the date 1663 in the spandrils of an elliptical arch on the staircase. The original fabric anciently belonged to the nunnery of Godstow.
At the time of the 1851 census, No. 11 was occupied by the Revd Henry Hubert Cornish, his wife Mary, five children, and a cook, nurse, and under-nurse. He was the chaplain of Corpus Christi College, and became Principal of New Inn Hall in 1866.
At the time of the 1861 the Revd Bartholomew Price, Professor of Natural Philosophy, and his wife were away: his children (Amt aged 2 and William aged 1) were being looked after by a butler, housemaid, cook, and nurse. As his family increased, he enlarged the house: Jackson’s Oxford Journal in October 1875 reports that a dining room, drawing room, and offices had been added on to the house that year. The Prices were at home in 1881 with three of their later children (Alice aged 17, Rose aged 15, and Elinor, aged 12), and a footman, cook, housemaid, and lady’s maid.
Campion Hall (now a permanent private hall of the University) started life here in 1919.
|Occupants of 11 St Giles’ Street listed in censuses and directories|
|1851/2|| Revd Henry H. Cornish
Clergyman, no cure of souls (1851)
|1861–91||Revd Bartholomew Price,
Sedleian Professor of Natural Philosophy
|1893–6||Timothy Edward Cobb, J.P.|
| Clarke’s Hall
Revd Richard F. Clarke, S.J., Licensed Master (1898–1900)
Revd John O’Fallon Pope, Temporary Master (1901–2)
Revd John O’Fallon Pope, Master (1903–18)
|1919–35|| Campion Hall
(and at 13 St Giles)
|1936–today|| St John’s House
Part of St John’s College