Shark

Forum

News

Blue plaque to Sir Isaiah Berlin

Plaque to Sir Isaiah Berlin

Left: Blue plaque in honour of Sir Isaiah Berlin (1909–1997), who lived at Headington House in Old High Street from 1956 to 1997.

 

Below This plaque was unveiled on the south gate pier of the house on 7 June 2009 (a hundred years after Sir Isaiah’s birth) by his stepson Peter Halban (left), with his other stepson Michel Strauss looking on. Hugo Brunner (former Lord Lieutenant of Oxfordshire and Chairman of the Blue Plaques Board) is on the right.

 

Foot of page: Dr Evie Kemp (convenor of Oxford Jewish Heritage, sponsors of the plaque) second from left, with Lord Mayor Mary Clarkson on her left. Second from the right is Henry Hardy of Wolfson College, Berlin’s literary editor and executor.

Group

© Stephanie Jenkins

 

Headington home Shark Oxford History home