The two small villages of Church Cowley and Temple Cowley had been transformed in 1876 when the military barracks on Hollow Way in Bullingdon Green (shown above in the 1960s) opened. They were built for the 43rd and 52nd (later the 2nd) Foot regiments of the Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, and many of the men of Headington & Marston would have begun their military life here.
The above postcard (produced by Henry Taunt) was sent to Mrs T. H. Stewart of Westcott Barton on 4 September 1914 by her son Horace, a farm labourer aged about 18. His pencilled message on the back reads:
Dear Mother and Father, Just writing a few lines to let you know we are at Cowley Barracks but not for long there is hundreds. I expect we shall be shifted tomorrow. We have plenty of food to eat. When we know w[h]ere we are going I will let you know. With love all all From your loving son H. P. Stewart.
Horace Percy Stewart of Westcott Barton served as a Private in the 6th Battalion of the Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry (Service No. 12477) and was killed in action at the Somme on 3 September 1916.
The postcard below was sent by “Ernest”, another new recruit, to Miss E. K. Metton of Epping in January 1915:
History of Cowley Barracks
Jackson’s Oxford Journal for 7 November 1874 reported on the building work for Bullingdon Barracks, as Cowley Barracks were originally known:
The site of the Barracks is about two miles and a half from Magdalen Bridge, on the high land lying to the left of Horspath road, and between it and Shotover Hill. The position is a most healthy one, and the prospect from it most extensive, embracing as it does an unbroken view of open country for about 15 miles. The space bought by Government for the buildings, drill ground, &c., covers an area of 20 acres, and cost £120 per acre. The Barracks are being erected by Messrs. Downs, of Southwark, by Contract, for £45,000, and are to be of stone, a great quantity of which has been already brought from Charlbury. The two blocks of buildings for the accommodation of the men will be lined with bricks. The rooms will be lofty, well lighted, ventilated, and warmed. Each block will contain accommodation for 112 men, 56 on the ground floor and 56 on the storey over. One block will be occupied by the Depôt (i.e., two Companies) of the 52nd Regiment (Oxfordshire), and the other by the Depôt of the 85th Regiment (Buckinghamshire). Besides these there will be the Officers’ Quarters, Married Soldiers’ Quarters, Canteen, Library and Recreation Rooms, Sergeants’ Mess, Orderly Room, Quartermaster’s Stores, Workshops, Straw and Coal Sheds, Hospital, Chapel, School, &c. &c. There is also (already erected) a commodious Drill Shed, for Recruits, in wet or inclement weather. When the whole building is completed it will form a perfect garrison in itself, and have a most pleasant appearance. The Married Soldiers’ Quarters are now on the plan of the “Peabody Cottages”, and will be most comfortable and compact. The entrance to the Barracks will be through a handsome “Keep”, in which will be the “Armory”, “Guard-house”, “Prisoners’ Cells”, &c. Although the Water Works’ Company have laid down pipes to the Barracks, there is no doubt that an ample supply of well water can be obtained in the Barracks; as, during the past exceptionally dry season, a good supply of pure water was found at a depth of less than 50 feet; this, on such an elevated position, warrants the belief that a plentiful supply can always be relied upon within Barracks, should the Water Work Company’s service be insufficient or at any time break down.
Although the contractors are under agreement to complete the buildings by September, 1875, many causes may prevent them from being able to do so, as an Engineer Officer being on the ground to superintend the erection, no work will be put up in bad weather; and should we have a severe winter, as is possible, this would of course delay the works. Even supposing the Barracks are completed by the time specified, they would then be without equipment, and as this would naturally take time to accomplish, it is hardly expected that troops would be sent into the new Barracks in mid-winter. It is thought, therefore, that the Barracks will not be permanently occupied till the spring of 1876.
The opinion of many is that, when finished, they will be the centre of a large body of troops, whereas it will be nothing of the kind; the fact is, there will be only accommodation for about 300 of all ranks, exclusive of Officers, and so these Barracks are intended merely as a Depôt, where the recruit is to be made an efficient soldier before he is drafted to the Corps for which he enlisted, there may and will be times when the Barracks will not contain more than, say, 100 men, because as soon as the men are fit to join their respective Corps, they will be drafted to them, and recruiting will then be had recourse to to fill up their places.
Young men who join the MIlitia will have the option of being trained at once at these Barracks with the regulars, or they can wait until the annual training of their Regiments takes place, when they will then be drilled with an others that may require it at Bullingdon. As a rule, the Militia will also go through their annual course of drill at these Barracks, and the Staff of it will be at all times available for duty with the regulars during the non-training seasons.
The composition of the Sub-District, of which Bullingdon Barracks will be the centre, comprises the Depôts of the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Regiments, as before explained, the Oxford Militia, Oxford City Volunteers, Oxford University Volunteers, Royal Bucks Militia and Bucks Volunteers, and is commanded by Colonel J. R. Sargent, C.B., an officer who has served with much distinction in China and the Crimea, where he succeeded to the command of the 95th Regiment at the battle of Inkerman, and brought that Corps out of action after doing good and arduous service.
On 15 January 1876 work was almost complete and an advertisement appeared in Jackson’s Oxford Journal advertising for sale the whole of the plant, surplus materials, and four cart-horses.
A number of soldiers were buried at Cowley Barracks, and crosses from the graves of soldiers who died between 1877 and 1892 have been moved to Cowley St James churchyard.
The barracks ceased to be the headquarters of the regiment in 1959, and the site today is mainly occupied by residential homes.
Footnote on other nearby military establishments
Oxford Military College
In 1841 the old manor house on the main road of Temple Cowley (Hollow Way) had become Cowley College, later known as Hurst’s Grammar School. In 1852 it was extended with an L-shaped school-room at the junction with the Oxford Road, and in 1870 a chapel was added. The building was purchased in July 1876 for a military college, which opened on 7 September that year. T. G. Jackson designed the east wing and the foundation stone was laid by the Earl of Morley on 21 July 1877.
Kelly’s Directory for 1891 describes the college thus:
The Oxford Military College was founded under the patronage of H.R.H. the Duke of Cambridge K.G. Commander-in-chief, and opened 7th Sept. 1876; its objects are to provide education for sons of officers, who have the preference for admission and may prepare for any profession or business; to prepare any candidates, whether sons of officers or not, for commissions in the military service, and to enable the senior pupils to enter the University as unattached students, and to proceed to degrees; instruction in military riding, infantry drill, lance, sword, carbine drill, swimming and gymnastics is given. There are three terms and vacations are together about 13 weeks; candidates for military commissions should enter not later than the age of 13. The institution is proprietary and owners of 20 shares have the right of nominating a student at a lower rate than others; six scholarships are offered annually of the value of £75, £50 and £25 respectively.
It concludes with a long and impressive list of the teachers and their subjects. Kelly’s Directory for 1915 adds:
… the buildings comprise an old mansion, said to have been a manor house and dating from the early part of the 17th century. The chapel formerly connected with the Military College has now been taken over by the Church of England, as is served by the parish church; it is in the Decorated style, erected in 1870 from designs by Mr. E. G. Bruton, architect, of Oxford. Other parts of the college are now used as motor works and blind factory.
The military college was declared bankrupt in 1896, and T. G. Jackson later said, “The military college at Cowley … never prospered, being neither civil nor military, under a governor who did not teach and a headmaster who had no authority, it languished and expired.” In 1899 the college became the Manor Works, where Alfred Breese Ltd made “Bee” braces and “North Road Cycles, while Breese himself took over the old manor house as a residence. In 1912 William Morris purchased the site, and Morris Cars began to be produced in Cowley. The original buildings later became the Nuffield Press.
The Manor House became structurally unsound and was demolished in 1957.
Slade Park Barracks
The Territorial Army barracks in the Slade opened in c.1938. The barracks closed in 2008 and the site was used for housing. The Territorial Army’s 7 Rifles moved to Edward Brooks Barracks in Abingdon, and with them went the regimental museum and the City of Oxford’s Boer War Memorial.
Memorial on the Slade to the Barracks (newspaper report)
- For the Military College, see The Changing Faces of Cowley, Book 1, pp. 113–16 and Book 2, pp. 78–81