Shark

Marston history: Listed buildings

Go backwards 
Go forwards

White Hart, 11 Oxford Road


The White Hart
Photographed on 25 February 2006

The White Hart is Grade II listed (List Entry No. 1047569). It dates from the mid- to late seventeenth century, and is built of limestone rubble with a plain-tile roof. The bay on the far left was added later, probably in the eighteenth century.

The building was originally a house belonging to members of the Croke family. It was converted into a pub in 1801, and was owned by Morrell’s.

At the time of the 1881 census Alfred Evans (42) who was living at the White Hart was described as a dairyman as well as a publican. With him were his wife Clara, his daughters Emily (17) and Lucy (15), and his son Arthur (15). Alfred (now described as a farmer and publican) was still at the pub twenty years later in 1901. Still living with Alfred and his wife was their son Arthur with his wife and three children, and they were also looking after another two of their grandchildren. Arthur eventually took over the pub.

The White Hart ceased to be a pub in 2003 and has been converted into flats, with more flats built in its two large fields behind


Some landlords of the White Hart
  • 1800: Joseph Bleay
  • 1847: William Mills
  • 1852: Thomas Castle
  • 1854: Edward Capel (also coal dealer)
  • 1863: Mrs Hannah Evans
  • 1869, 1876: Mrs Anne Evans
  • 1881, 1883, 1901, 1913: Alfred Evans
  • 1914: Arthur Evans
  • 1928, 1935: Arthur Hayle
  • 1943, 1947, 1971: Lowden E.H. Hayle
  • 1974–1984: L.F. Long
  • 1984–1987: J. C. Pearce
  • !987–1990: P. A. Lafford
  • 1990–1996: B. King
  • 1996: P. & T. Hargreaves
  • 1996–1998+: T. Clayton

© Stephanie Jenkins

Headington home Shark Oxford History home