Shark

Marston history: Listed buildings

Go backwards 
Go forwards

Three Horseshoes, 9 Oxford Road


The Three Horseshoes
Photographed on 25 February 2006

The former Three Horseshoes pub is Grade II listed (List Entry No. 1047568). It dates from the mid- to late eighteenth century. It is built of limestone rubble, and has a plain-tile roof with brick gable stacks. It stands at right-angles to the White Hart behind.

Until 1735 the building was a blacksmith’s attached to a farmhouse, which explains its name.

On 25 February 1882 Jackson's Oxford Journal (in a report on the Bullingdon Division Petty Sessions) records that Mark Rippington had been summoned for resisting Police Constable Quarterman while in the execution of his duty at the Three Horseshoes public house at Marston on 23 December 1881. PC Quarterman heard a row in the pub, and went in to find the defendant drunk and quarrelling. PC Quarterman got Rippington out, but he went in again and started a fight with another man. When told to go home, Rippington put up his fists, and Quarterman grappled him to the floor. A man called Richard Smith helped to get Rippington out of the pub and took him home. The landlady, Mrs Collingridge, said that she had refused to serve Rippington with beer because she considered that he had already had enough. Rippington was fined 5s. and costs.

At the time of the 1901 census the publican was Richard Gurden (46). He lived at the Three Horseshoes with his wife Mary and their six children, namely Ethel (13), Margarata (12), Richard (9), May (6), William (4), and Hester (1). Also living with them were Richard's father, a retired publican of 79, and his sister Emily (53).

In October 2012 planning permission was granted for “Conversion and extension of public house to form single family dwelling (class C3) and conversion of outbuilding to form ancillary annexe. Provision of bin and cycle store, car parking and private amenity space” (12/02205/FUL and 12/02206/LBC). Further details were approved in January 2013 (12/02205/CND) and March 2013 (12/02205/NMA), and supplied in November 2012 (12/02206/CND)


Some landlords of the Three Horseshoes
  • 1847, 1852, 1854: William Steel (also carpenter & wheelwright)
  • 1863: Hannah Steel
  • 1869: John Collingridge
  • 1876: Thomas Collingridge
  • 1883: Mrs Sarah Collingridge
  • 1891, 1901: Richard Gurden
  • 1914: William Matthews
  • 1935: Harry Willis
  • 1947: Albert Newell

© Stephanie Jenkins

Headington home Shark Oxford History home