Shark

Marston history: Listed buildings

Go backwards 
Go forwards

New Marston War Memorial


New Marston War MemorialPhotographed in 2016

The New Marston War Memorial is situated on the east side of the Marston Road near New Marston Primary School (between the junctions of William Street and John Garne Way). It is Grade II listed (List Entry No. 1440072). This listing followed an application made under the Historic England scheme running from 2014 to 2018 to add 2,500 free-standing First World War memorials to the National Heritage List for England: see The War Memorials Listing Project

It is made of Portland stone and stands to a height of 2.75 metres (but appears higher because of its raised platform). It comprises a plain short cross on a large stone column, which is gently tapered. Projecting outwards from the top of the column, on each side, is a stone-sculpted arch. Within the recess created by the arch on the front of the memorial is a stone wreath carved in relief.

The column is mounted on chamfered plinth, and this in turn stand on a larger two-stepped base.

The whole stands on a raised platform with red tiles, reached from the pavement by two sets of three steps, which are flanked by a wall of rough stone blocks.

The front (west-facing) side of the column has the names, ranks, and regiments of the 26 men of New Marston who died in the First World War inscribed into the stone. On the plinth of this front side are the words:

THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE 
THIS MEMORIAL IS ERECTED BY THEIR FRIENDS 
OF NEW MARSTON.

Below this on the plinth are the words:

THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE 
THIS MEMORIAL IS ERECTED BY THEIR FRIENDS 
OF NEW MARSTON.

The right (south-facing) side of the column is inscribed:

GREATER LOVE
HATH NO
MAN THAN THIS
THAT A MAN
LAY DOWN
HIS LIFE FOR HIS
FRIENDS

After the Second World War, the letter S was added to the word WAR and the following text was added underneath the above:

AND 
1939–1945

[followed by eleven names, and a twelfth name was added on to the chamfered edge of the plinth]

This memorial was built by Messrs Axtell & Son of Oxford. It was unveiled on 21 December 1919 by Mrs G. Herbert Morrell of Headington Hill Hall: the Last Post was sounded at the ceremony, and there was a service conducted by the Revd J. H. Mortimer, Vicar of Marston: see Oxford Journal Illustrated of 24 December 1919 for a photograph of the unveiling.

This memorial is on the Imperial War Museums database: New Marston War Memorial and also
on the War Memorials Online website:

For a list of all the men named on the New Marston War Memorial, linked to their biographies,
see the War Dead of Headington & Marston section

© Stephanie Jenkins

Headington home Shark Oxford History home