Shark

Marston history: Listed buildings

Go backwards 
Go forwards

Manor House, 15 Mill Lane


Manor House
Photographed on 29 January 2006

Manor House in early twentieth century

 

The Manor House at 15 Mill Lane, together with its front wall, is Grade II listed (List Entry No. 1047610).

 

Left: the Manor House in the early twentieth century

 

Below: The former Manor House: extract from an engraving after J. C. Buckler published in Gentleman’s Magazine 1816, lxxvi(2), 577.

Old Manor House

In 1617 Unton Croke married Anne Hoare and through her inherited land in Marston. He rebuilt the house that stood on the site of the present 15 and 17 Mill Lane, and it became known as the Mansion House. It was used as Fairfax’s headquarters during the siege of Oxford in 1645, and the Treaty for the Surrender of Oxford was signed here in 1646.

The western section on the left survives as Cromwell House, but the part of the house to the east was destroyed by fire in the mid-eighteenth century and in 1843 it was rebuit in its present form as shown at the top of this page and named the Manor House.


Some later occupants of the Manor House:
  • 1883, 1891: Mrs Sims
  • 1907: Robert Cave
  • 1914: Robert Cave and Miss Cave
  • 1915: Miss Cave
  • 1928–1955: Arthur Henry Vernède
  • From 1956: Raymond V. Vernède

© Stephanie Jenkins

Headington home Shark Oxford History home