Shark

Marston history: Listed buildings

Go backwards 
Go forwards

Cross Farmhouse, 2 Oxford Road


Cross Farmhouse
Photographed on 25 February 2006

Cross Farmhouse is Grade II listed (List Entry No. 1047571). It dates from the early seventeenth century, and is built of limestone rubble. The blind bay on the left is part of a former barn range, demolished in 1964.

At the end of the eighteenth century the farm was owned by Thomas Rowney of Oxford, followed by his son, and it then passed to a family named Phillott

The Rippington family owned it in the nineteenth century, farming it themselves until 1885.

The Haynes family then took over as tenant farmers, first Richard Haynes, and then his son Edwin in 1887. Edwin, at the age of 52, can be seen living here at the time of the 1901 census with his wife Helen and their four children. Walter (24, an ironmonger’s assistant), Hubert (21, a worker on the farm), Charles (17, a cabinet maker’s assistant), and Raymund (14).

Edwin Haynes bought the farm from the Rippingtons in 1920.

Charles Henry Haynes farmed here in 1935 and Raymund Haynes from at least 1943 to 1964.

Cross Farm
Cross Farm in the mid-twentieth century

© Stephanie Jenkins

Headington home Shark Oxford History home