Shark

Marston history: Listed buildings

Go backwards 
Go forwards

Alan Court, 13 Mill Lane


Alan Court
Photographed on 29 January 2006

Alan Court (formerly Home Farm) at 13 Mill Lane is Grade II listed (List Entry No. 1047609). It dates from the early to mid-seventeenth century, and was extended in about 1800 and remodelled around 1900. It is built of limestone rubble, and has an artficial stone-slate roof. On the right is an attached barn or outbuilding.

It is now a private house, but was formerly the farmhouse for the large dwelling known as the Manor House that stood on the site of 15 Mill Lane and 17 Mill Lane.

At the time of the 1901 census, this house was occupied by Francis Haynes, the 38-year-old farmer of Home Farm, and his wife Mary. Their eldest son, Francis, was already working on the farm at the age of 14, and they had three younger children still at school: Sidney (11), Cecilia (7), and Bernard (5).

When the house was owned by Mrs Wood in the mid-twentieth century, May dancing was performed on the large ciruclar lawn every year.


Some other occupants of Alan Court:
  • 1943, 1947, 1958: Mrs E. F. Wood

© Stephanie Jenkins

Headington home Shark Oxford History home