Logo
Earlier Jubilees in
Headington, Oxford
Logo

Coronation 1952
Fancy Dress Party for the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II on 2 June 1953. T
he picture is taken in New High Street, and the Coronation Street party took place here in front of Baker’s Yard (now built up). On the left is the present No. 27, and the picture was taken from upstairs in the then grocer’s shop opposite.

G.H. Williams former shop in 1937
This pair of shops (later the Cotswold Collection, demolished to make way for the Ripples shop) used to belong to G. H. Williams (now on the other side of the London Road). The royal event is probably the coronation of George VI on 12 May 1937. The shop on the left has a union flag on a crest between the windows, and a loop of bunting, and a printed banner reading “Long may they reign”. The shop on the right has a strip of bunting over the window, a clutch of union flags, and more bunting looking which looks as though it stretches off across the road.


Workhouse party in 1910
Above and below Celebrations outside the London Road workhouse (which was just to the east of Gladstone Road), marking the coronation of George V on 25 June 1911. The men are seated to the left of the main door, and the women to the right.
Workhouse party in 1910


Logo
Logo